Friday, February 24, 2012

OFW DIARIES

When i heard that i was to leave for Dubai, two things came to my mind: to work and to come home.

My sister has been working here for almost 2 years now and my family thinks that it is best that i would follow her and help my family. Helping my family was never an issue for me. From the day i finished school up to my last employment in the Philippines, all i had in my mind was to provide for my family and make them happy. My travel to Dubai was a chance. Not a thing was certain; not a job.

That was the risk I had to take. I have heard stories of both victory and failure. All of them inspired me but at the same time sacred me. It's not all about the good life here. Of course you can enjoy your life to the fullest here but being with the family that you love is a different thing. You see things that you, surely feel would amaze your family. But at the end of the day, you are still alone in your bed, looking at the monitor and just reading the comments your friends and family have made.

Working overseas is a tough decision to make and many have dared to do this job. It's not about the work and it's not even about the salary. The toughest thing one has to face is loneliness. And I can say that no one was ever safe from feeling it.

When i got here, i never thought about it. I was with my sister and we were enjoying whatever this place has to offer. I looked for a job and got signed in. It was very fast. Problems would come up but they seemed to be overnight creepers.

Suddenly, loneliness found its way to me. It was very hard dealing with it. You would suddenly feel your heart beat faster and faster that you don't understand why you are nervous. Crying makes you feel better but you don't know why you are crying in the first place.

You can talk about it to someone and the unknown pain quiets down. I thought it was over and I can live the normal life again. But then, it creep-ed out from the dark and was with me for days. I wasn't able to sleep, didn't have much appetite and I was not able to function well. I thought that I was going crazy. I was nervous all the time but I didn't know what I was nervous of.

Maybe it was because of work or maybe it was because of the questions I have in my mind. I didn't know and I was not sure.

A friend of mine was chatting with me when she reminded me about Prayer. The mere word relaxed me. Then I thought about the things I used to do before going here. I was not that religious but my family made it a point that we would attend to important church events.

Before I left, another friend gave me a rosary. It was a pocket rosary made of black plastic diamonds and a metal chain. It was a very nice gift. I took it out from my bag and decided to pray the Rosary with intentions for each decade and each mystery. It helped me to overcome the fear and the loneliness. It became my routine. The Rosary was my guide now.

I decided to attend mass in a nearby church. Just before I left the church, I saw a table outside selling religious things. I bought one and it was a very good item: God's Word 2012. A book and a guide of the daily Word for this year. It was a very special moment for me.

Prayer is a very simple thing to do and it is very strong.

Every time, I offer each mystery to one of my weakness. The Lord is just watching and waiting for us to call on Him. Let us be reminded that in whatever we do, His blessing is always greater than anyone else's.

Living in Dubai was something that I never imagines to be realized but God was so good to give it to me. Now, all i can give back are the prayers to him of thanks, guidance and love.

Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is this the end?

Ive always dreamt to have someone who is proud of me; who understands why i am like this; a person that brings the best in me and accepts ...